The Victoria Day long weekend is upon us! Let’s be honest: Monday-Friday, 9-5’ers across the country have been looking forward to this weekend all month. If you weren’t able to invite yourself to a friend’s cabin or cottage this weekend fear not; Hollyburn Properties has prepared the “Long Weekend Staycation Survival Guide” for staying in town.
While the rains have returned, that has never stopped us ruthless Vancouverites from exploring our city and coastline. Here are some ideas of what to do:
- Compare all three Asian night-markets! The soft-opening of the revitalized Chinatown night market is tonight, Friday May 1th from 6-11pm. The 13th Annual Richmond Night Market is still going strong, and the International Summer Night Market has several new vendors to explore.
- Shop! Top Ten Vancouver Shopping Destinations.
- Bare all at Wreck Beach. You can escape the crowds because of the rain and have the beach all to yourself.
- Every May long weekend, 100,000 ladybugs are released into the Priddis Valley Gardens as part of an annual festival in the insect’s honour. The festival features live music, food, massage, yoga and an activity tent for kids.
- Calgary’s Heritage Park Historical Village opens this weekend. Discover “how the West was once” at Canada’s largest living history museum.
- Officially known as the Canadian Tulip Festival, this weekend wraps up the 61st edition. Millions of tulips are in bloom, creating a beautiful mosaic of colour in Ottawa-Gatineau.
- This Saturday join headliner Wafik Nasralla at The Barley Mow Laugh Out Loud Comedy Show (Bank Street); with Wafik will be local comics Matt Watson, Wendi Reed, and Brad Doiron!
- The Toronto International Circus Festival is in town; a free, three-day showcase of acrobats, daredevils, buskers and more, aimed at children under 12.
- MEC hosts their annual celebration for bike aficionados: Bikefest. It’s a community celebration of all things bike related with skills clinics, demos, and workshops.
As you can see there are many events going on to keep you happy, entertained and full this long weekend. Sleep in, relax and get out in your community to enjoy the beginning of Canada’s summer season!